Bob Baker is the Executive Chairman of AccuVest Pty Ltd (50% owned by his Family Trust) and manager of AccuVest(Mackay)
Bob has had a distinguished professional career, first as a Chemical Engineer, in Australia and overseas, then as a leader of technology-based companies and associations and more latterly as a financial planner.
He set up his own business in 1989.
He migrated to Mackay from the “big smoke” in 1992 with his wife, Helen, at the same time acquiring the fledgling financial planning business of S H Tait & Co, one of Mackay’s premier accounting firms, which was at that stage operating under the Bleakleys license.
He would have us believe that this was a “retirement decision” but his colleagues can attest that he still continued to demonstrate workaholic attributes and a passionate dedication to his clients and to excellence.
In 1995 Bob became one of Mackay’s first Certified Financial Planners, the highest Financial Planning designation recognised by the Financial Planning Association http://www.fpa.asn.au.
In May 1995 Bob was elected by his peers as the founding Chairman of the Mackay & Region Chapter of the FPA. He served on the Chapter committee continuously until 2003. Since that time he has served on the Management Committee of the Boutique Financial Planning Principals Group Inc (BFPPG) an association of independently owned Financial Service Licensees http://www.bfppg.asn.au.
AccuVest Pty Ltd was formed in June 1998 by Bob and Merrie Bott (a leading Tamworth-based Financial planner, who also holds legal and accounting qualifications). AccuVest Pty Ltd immediately applied for and was granted an Unrestricted Security Dealers License by the ASC. This was seen as a critical part of taking control of one’s own destiny as a Financial Planner, so that one could ensure that the business remained focussed on “quality advice” http://whatisgoodinvestmentadviceinaustralia.blogspot.com/. In 2004 this license was converted to an Australian Financial Services License.
Under Bob’s leadership, AccuVest(Mackay) has grown strongly to assume intellectual and business leadership in the financial planning space in Mackay.
Bob’s qualifications include:
- Diploma of Financial Planning (Deakin University)
- Degree in Chemical Engineering (Hons 1)(UNSW)
- In secondary school he was Dux of Murwillumbah High School & made the State Honours list for Economics Bob’s industry and management experience spanned:
- Energy & Resource Technology: including secondment to centres of excellence in the USA & Europe – with a focus on Coal Processing (including coal liquefaction) technology & fluidised bed combustion and project evaluation and development
- Medical technology: including running one of the Nucleus Group companies; at that time Nucleus was Australia�s leading medical technology success story, and Chairmanship of the Medical Engineering Research Association (21 companies sponsoring and facilitating applied Medical Research at Universities)&
- Biotechnology/Biosensors – including being the founding Chairman of a Research Consortium involving 4 Australian Companies and 3 divisions of the CSIRO which ultimately listed on the ASX
Bob is the proud husband of Helen and proud father of 4 fine sons.
Bob’s idea of life balance includes a commitment to spend at least 8 weeks a year of full-on quality time with his family who share his keen interest in sailing and fishing and the outdoors.